Friday, December 14, 2012

Ankara Print Thrift Haul + Designer Stella Jean

Lately I've been wearing bold prints pretty heavily... and finding lots of designers are incorporating African wax prints into their lines. I guess it's just been on my brain so that's what I'm finding at the thrift store.


Last night on the way home, I stopped by Value Village; I was on a mission to find a plaid flannel shirt.
I had planned out this particular outfit and you  you know how you just really have to make certain outfits happen...kind of like a craving? It was like that. I had to find this flannel shirt. So, I looked high and low, but no flannel. Then I figured, I might as well take a look around just for funzies!

I wasn't even halfway through the dresses when I spotted this lovely Ankara print dress! 
It blows my mind the things that people get rid of! It's beautifully handmade with two tiers of skirt pleating, puffed sleeves, and a rather large dolphin zipper in the back. I could never give this up if someone made it for me.



 There were actually a few Ankara dresses, but I guess VV caught on, and marked them up quite a bit.
 And by that I mean like $20, so I didn't really pay much attention to them. I just feel some sorta way about buying anything over $5. Lol...but I'm willing to pay a bit more for something beautifully handmade.
So I'll admit that I did "splurge" on this $14 dress. I know, but that totally is splurging for me. 

In my last OOTD post, I mentioned that these African prints and textiles are becoming quite a big deal in the fashion world.  Take a look at Designer Stella Jean's line from S/S 2012 (a runway show).


Here are a few new pieces from the Fall/Winter 2013 line

 As far as the "world of fashion" goes, I think these pieces will always be beautiful and interesting, but they will probably not be "whats hot" forever obviously. I wonder if demand for these fabrics has increased as a result of the trend. Does that make it harder for "regular people" to purchase these textiles. And I wonder if the price of the fabrics have changed as well. Hmmm....I have lots of mixed feelings.

What are your thoughts on this new trend? Here to stay or just another trendy buy for the season, if you can afford it? How far down will the influence trickle....like...will we see similar looks in a Macy's or Nordstrom? 
Let me know if these looks are already out there, you know I don't venture to the mall often. lol

3 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love the find from VV Mandy! $14.00. Not bad, girl. That's a steal--especially with the increase popularity in African prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, don't you just love it when you go in looking for a specific thing, you don't find it, BUT luck up on a spectatcular find (which in most cases is waaay better than what you actually came for)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess $14 isn't bad but you know how "thrifty" I am. loL
      I do love when that happens, especially when it's that one item instead of 10 and i can leave shortly after feeling like i didnt go insane. lol

      Delete