Thursday, December 13, 2012

OOTD: Leopard + Ankara print, Sindiso Khumalo

I've always loved an Ankara wax print, or African print, and it seems to be making quite a splash in the world of fashion (which is...interesting).  Lately I've been playing around with different Ankara prints and pairing them with stripes, or leopard; and really seeing how versatile this  really is.
As you all know I love the heck out of my Ankara maxi dress that I transitioned from summer to fall. Now I am working with a few more Ankara print pieces. Monday I wore this unique shell print pencil skirt.

This piece is actually part of a 2-piece suit that I purchased from Value Village....or Goodwill in Lilburn, Ga.
Thrift stores are a great place to find tons of African print suits, and dresses, and skirts! This is a cheaper alternative to purchasing them in places like the West End (for all of my Atlanta peeps).
One of the things I love about these pieces that I find, is that they are all hand made! Something about seeing the colorful ribbon that people use on the inside of hems, or old buttons that they use......

So about those designers taking a different approach to African prints and textiles.... Sindiso Khumalo is a brand that, "combines bold African graphics with a sophisticated minimalist construction." (sk website)
She actually began studying architecture in Cape Town, South Africa before studying textiles at Central St. Martin's College of Art and Design. This gives me hope because I'm one of those people who are really into all things creative, I guess you really don't have to "pick one thing", but focus seems to be key.
Anyway you should toootally check out the website to see more from this South African designer!


"Our vision is to create a contemporary, modern, African textile aesthetic that showcases both the craftsmanship that exists in our continent, as well as pushing new ground into future technologies within the textile environment.” --Sindiso Khumalo



1 comment: